Serves 4 | Wine to pair or sip while cooking: 2010 Fetzer Mendocino Chardonnay – medium body, with flavors of apple, pear and tropical fruit
- 1/2 cup English peas
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 small sweet onion or 3/4 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups cooked (steamed) white rice (1-1/2 cups uncooked rice yields slightly over 4 cups cooked rice)
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 1 pound of frozen jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cracked peppercorns
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- Optional side dish: 4 stalks bok choy
- Place peas in steamer over boiling water and steam 3-4 minutes. Then set peas aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir-fry onions until they turn slightly brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the ground ginger to the onions and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the rice to the onions and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Spread the rice evenly over the pan and let it fry 3-4 minutes on one side. It will begin to turn crisp and brown. Then with a spatula flip over all the rice by portions and let the other side fry for 3-4 minutes.
- While your rice is frying, add the pancetta to a small pan and cook 2-3 minutes until slightly crisp. Optional: Remove the pancetta onto a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Add the pancetta and peas to the rice, mix together and let it crisp another 1-2 minutes. Leave rice in the skillet and put aside.
- In another skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil and add the shrimp. Cook the shrimp about 2-3 minutes each side. Remove the shrimp (drain any excess water) and add shrimp to a bowl. Sprinkle cracked peppercorns onto shrimp to taste and return shrimp to skillet and keep warm over low heat.
- Re-heat your rice skillet to medium-high. Make a well space in the center of the rice. Add the eggs, sesame oil and soy sauce into the well space and scramble the eggs and sauce until well done. Then fold the eggs into the rice.
To serve: Divide the fried rice onto each plate and top with shrimp. Or put the rice and shrimp in separate serving dishes for self-helpings.
Side dish: Bok Choy. Steam bok choy 1-2 minutes. Serve topped with oyster sauce or sweet chili pepper sauce.