Serves 8 | You will need (2) baking dishes, 1 larger than the other (see pic below).
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 eggs plus 3 egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Have the smaller baking dish out and ready.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat add the sugar and water and stir until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture begins to boil. Stop stirring and continue to boil until it turns brown. NOTE: DO NOT STIR OR SWIRL THE MIXTURE WHILE IT BOILS. IF YOU DO THE SUGAR WILL CRYSTALLIZE ONTO THE SPOON AND PAN. LET IT BOIL UNTIL THE MIXTURE TURNS BROWN. AS SOON AS IT TURNS BROWN, swirl the pan until the mixture is a dark brown/dark amber color … about 30 seconds to 1 minute tops. (The color might not change … but swirl anyway.) POUR IMMEDIATELY INTO SMALLER BAKING DISH. Set aside. (The mixture will quickly harden in the dish.)
- Place the smaller baking dish inside the larger baking dish.
- In a blender, add the eggs, egg yolks, condensed milk, heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla and salt. Blend on a low setting until smooth. Pour egg mixture into smaller baking dish over the hardened caramel.
- Add water into larger baking dish until it reaches halfway up the sides of the smaller baking dish. (See photo). Cover the entire dish with foil and CAREFULLY place onto center rack in oven. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- When done, remove from oven, remove foil and let cool for 1 hour. Remove smaller baking dish from water and let cool in fridge for 4 hours or overnight before serving.