Serves 2 | Wine to pair: 2009 Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon – a jammy wine with robust flavors of wild berries and currants. Hints of toasted oak and clove with a velvety smooth finish.
Wrapping butter-rubbed chicken with prosciutto is messy and requires some patience but the resulting dish is delicious … well worth the wrapping.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces prosciutto
- 6 to 8 pieces of chicken breast tenderloins or 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 8 ounces crimini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup cabernet sauvignon
- sharp cheddar and/or Monterey Jack cheese, 4 slices each type cheese for 8 slices total
- Preheat over 400º F.
- In a small bowl combine garlic and butter.
- Wrapping method #1: In rimmed baking dish lay out the prosciutto flat, place chicken on top and apply the butter onto the chicken. Wrap the prosciutto over the chicken. Wrapping method #2: Over a rimmed baking dish apply the butter onto the chicken. One by one wrap the prosciutto around buttered chicken. Cover the dish with foil. Roast in oven on center rack for 25 minutes.
- In a medium skillet add oil over medium-high heat. Saute mushrooms until golden brown 3-4 minutes. Add cabernet to deglaze about 15 seconds. This becomes part of the mushroom wine sauce.
- After chicken is done immediately top the chicken with the cheese to melt.
Serve topped with mushrooms and wine sauce.