I was so inspired by the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead that I started juicing last week. The next day I went to the Farmer’s Market and bought my juicing ingredients for the week. With my Vitamix I don’t just juice – I make a smoothie – so none of the fruit or vegetable fibers are gone to waste. You can find juicing recipes inspired by the movie at http://www.jointhereboot.com/.My first smoothie recipe: Pear Strawberries Beet Smoothie
- 1 1/2 cups cold filtered water
- 1 basket fresh strawberries, green tops left on
- 2 beets, peeled and halved
- 1 red pear skin on, core removed
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 3 carrots, cut into smaller pieces
- 5 large ice cubes
- In your high-performance blender such as Vitamix put in the ingredients in the order listed above – liquids first, followed by soft ingredients then hard ingredients last. If ingredients do not fit top the blender until full, blend on low and push the ingredients down with the wand then add the remainder ingredients.
- Start on low – use your want to push down the ingredients – then increase speed to High Speed and blend until smooth about 15 seconds. Refrigerate left over but finish all your smoothie the same day.