Add some spice to your summer with this hot chicken posole. Eat with warm rolled up corn tortillas. Serves 8.
- 2 tablespoon grapeseed or olive oil
- 2 sweet onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked peppercorns
- 2 32-ounce chicken broth
- 3 10-ounce cans diced tomatoes with green chilies. This will make your posole spicy hot. To make it less spicy get 2 cans with the chile and 1 without.
- 1 pound fresh chicken thighs
- 1 29-ounce can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried oregano, and more for serving
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice and lime wedges, for serving
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced for serving
- corn tortillas, for serving
- In a large saucepan of at least 6 quarts, heat oil to medium and add the onion, garlic and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown about 15 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes and chicken and bring to a boil. Simmer until chicken is cooked through 12 to 13 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, remove chicken and let cool for several minutes. Cover your soup.
- Shred the chicken.
- After your chicken is shredded add back into the soup along with the hominy, oregano and lime juice. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Warm up your corn tortillas on a hot skillet. Serve posole topped with sliced avocado or on the side along with oregano and lime wedges.