- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 pound medium shrimp, thawed, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1/2 pound scallops, thawed
- 2 tilapia fillets, cut into smaller chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch saffron threads (a pinch is all you need to savor the entire skillet!)
- 1 pound mussels
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- In a large nonstick skillet heat oil to medium heat. Add bell pepper and onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 3 more minutes until it starts to brown slightly.
- Add the rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, shrimp, scallops, tilapia, pepper and saffron; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until broth is almost absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add mussels, cover skillet and cook until mussels open about 7 minutes longer. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley.