Dijon Crusted Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella Spinach Saute with Lemon White Wine Sauce
I intended making a repeat recipe from my blog (chicken scaloppine with wine sauce) but the store was out of chicken thighs so I bought chicken breasts – which I never buy because I don’t know how to cook it. Then I recalled this amazing recipe from dianeskitchentable and went on to create my own stuffed chicken version with ingredients I had at home.
Have 2 large organic chicken breasts, about 1.5 pounds total. Cut each breast in half. Then cut each half into the side so that it flaps open.
Spinach Saute Ingredients
- 2 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 of a large sweet onion, finely chopped (or 1/2 of a small sweet onion, chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 big hand fulls fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
Dijon Mustard Crust Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon basil-infused olive oil (extra virgin olive oil will do too)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup (heaping) breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Wine Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine such as a Chardonnay
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
Spinach Saute Preparation
- In a large skillet heat 1 teaspoon oil to MEDIUM and saute onion until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to LOW, add another teaspoon oil and stir fry garlic until it begins to brown slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Increase heat back to MEDIUM, add spinach and basil, saute until spinach wilts just so.
- Place spinach saute into a mixing bowl – let it cool a bit – then mix in the mozzarella cheese.
Dijon Crusted Chicken Preparation
- Pre-heat oven to 350º F.
- In a small bowl whisk the mustard, olive oil and eggs together and set aside
- In a medium bowl combine breadcrumbs, seasoning, garlic and salt.
- Completely coat chicken pieces in the egg batter. Then coat only the top of the chicken with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place chicken crumb side down on a baking dish. Divide the spinach mixture on top of each chicken.
- Carefully fold each chicken piece over the spinach.
- Bake on center rack 35 to 40 minutes.
Wine Sauce Preparation (prepare 10 minutes before the chicken is done)
- In a large skillet heat medium-high the broth, wine and butter. Bring to a simmering boil and reduce 8 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and reduce another 2 minutes.
Serve chicken with the wine sauce spooned around it.