Ground beef made for a surprisingly delicious country-fried “steak”. If you can, definitely choose organic ground beef (100% grass fed). This was a hit at the dinner table! Makes 5 to 6 steaks.
- Buttermilk is used for the Beef Mixture, dredging and gravy. You’ll need 1 /12 cups (325 mL) buttermilk, divided.
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted saltine crackers, finely crushed (about 40 crackers), divided
Coating Tray Ingredients
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour, put in 1st tray or plate
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, put in 2nd tray or plate
- 1-1/4 cup crushed saltine crackers, put in 3rd tray or plate
Onion Saute Ingredients
- 1 small sweet onion or 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon grapeseed oil, divided
Ground Beef “Steak” Ingredients
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (that’s 1 Tablespoon buttermilk per 1/4 pound beef)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup crushed saltine crackers
- Onion Saute Mixture
- 1 pound organic lean ground beef
- For frying: 3 Tablespoons grapeseed oil (a healthy alternative to other frying oils)
- 3 Tablespoons flour from your flour coating tray
- 3/4 cup beef broth or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Adobo seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk
Prepare the Onion Saute Mixture
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet to medium-high. Saute the onions until soft 4 to 5 minutes. Add parsley and saute another minute. Push onions to edge of skillet, lower heat to medium and add another teaspoon oil then add garlic onto oil. Saute garlic until it begins to brown about 2 minutes then mix in with the onions. Remove from heat and set aside.
Prepare the Ground Beef Mixture
- In a bowl combine the cayenne, pepper, salt, buttermilk, egg, 1/4 cup cracker crumbs, Onion Saute Mixture and beef. Mix well using your hands and fingers.
- Shape the Beef Mixture into 5 or 6 irregular-shaped patties. Tip: Put some flour on your hands, roll beef into a ball, then mash it with your palm onto the flour.
- Dredge each patty into (1) flour, (2) buttermilk, (3) crushed crackers. The crackers adhere to the buttermilk quite nicely.
- In the same skillet where you sauteed the onions, heat oil to medium. Place patties on skillet and cook 5 minutes each side. Remove patties onto a plate lined with paper towels to soak up excess oil. Then remove excess oil from skillet to prepare your gravy.
Prepare the Gravy
- In the same skillet add flour, broth, Adobo seasoning and pepper. Bring to a simmering boil, whisking constantly 1 to 3 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk and bring to a simmering boil again, whisking constantly 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a blender; blend on High for 15 to 20 seconds until smooth. Return gravy to skillet and heat to a boil for another minute, stirring constantly. Your gravy should be thick and smooth, not thin and runny.
Serve your steaks topped with gravy or served on the side.
Recipe source: The Pampered Chef