I could not find 5 Spice Blend at my local grocery. So this recipe shows you how to blend the spices yourself. Cook your white rice first before you start preparing your chicken stir-fry.
5 Spice Blend (there’s actually 7 spices)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 whole star anise or 1 teaspoon ground star anise
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seeds (or finely chop whole fennel seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine all 5 Spice ingredients into a small bowl.
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cleaned and cut into small pieces or strips
- 1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon (a dash) of red chili pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoon grapeseed oil or other cooking oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 medium or large sized carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup orange champagne vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- Place chicken pieces in a bowl and combine 5 Spice Blend and soy sauce until mixed well.
- In a large skillet heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and stir fry for 2 minutes then cover and cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add chili flakes and remove from heat or reduce to low to keep warm. If whole, remember to remove the star anise!
- In a separate skillet heat 1 teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and stir fry for 3 minutes, then cover and cook until tender 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- Heat a small non-stick saucepan to medium and add champagne or balsamic vinegar. Reduce until it becomes a syrup (balsamic glaze) about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir constantly, don’t let it burn.
- After carrots are tender, to the skillet with carrots, add another teaspoon oil then add mushrooms and onions. Stir fry until onions and mushrooms soften.
- Pour balsamic glaze onto carrot mushroom stir fry and coat the vegetables.
- Serve vegetables topped with chicken and it’s juices or combine vegetables and chicken into one skillet and serve with steamed white rice and/or steamed bok choy.