Crispy Zucchini Quinoa Patties (top with Avocado and Caramelized Sweet Onions)
This is so delicious by itself, with a salad or topped with avocado or mashed avocado with caramelized sweet onions. Try it with a side of pickles! Makes roughly 12 to 13 patties.
- 3/4 cup organic quinoa
- 1 medium zucchini, grated in a separate bowl. Tip: Grate your zucchini while your quinoa boils. This will allow time for the zucchini to sit.
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan and/or Romano cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 3/4 cup organic bread crumbs
- grapeseed or olive oil for frying
- In a medium saucepan combine quinoa with 2 cups water to a boil for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and cover for 5 minutes. Drain and spread quinoa on a baking sheet to cool.
- Add the whisked eggs in a large bowl. With your hands, squeeze the liquid from the zucchini and add the zucchini to the eggs. Add the cheese, garlic, salt and pepper and mix. Add the quinoa and bread crumbs and mix. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large non-stick skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil to medium-high. Spoon about a 1/4-cup measure of quinoa mixture and form into a 1/2-inch thick patty. I made 16 patties out of my mixture.
- Add as many patties as will fit to the skillet (about 5 or 6) and fry until golden brown on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Add another tablespoon oil, flip the patties and fry until golden brown again, 3 to 5 minutes. Repeat until with remaining patties.
Adapted from Food and Wine Magazine May 2013