I made 64 mini meatballs and they were super delicious! Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups Panko
- 4 to 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan and/or Romano cheese or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 teaspoon sea salt and 1/2 black pepper
- Optional spices: 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- Two 24-ounce jars of your favorite tomato pasta sauce
- 2 pounds dried rigatoni pasta
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. (I didn’t use any paper and the meatballs only slightly got stuck to the baking sheet.)
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk. Then stir in the Panko, garlic, cilantro, oregano, basil and grated cheese, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and optional spices. Add the turkey and combine using your hands and fingers.
- Form the mixture into mini meatballs about 1 1/2-inch diameter.
- I topped the meatballs with some pasta sauce which took a little over half a jar of sauce. Suggestion: pour out entire pasta sauce into a bowl and dip the meatballs into the sauce to completely coat your meatballs.
- Bake on center rack for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook your pasta according to the package instructions.
- Serve pasta onto a plate and top with meatballs, warmed pasta sauce and shaved Parmesan cheese.
Source: Food & Wine Annual Cookbook 2013