I made this for parents’ snack which apparently was a welcome treat to the all-too-common crackers and carrot sticks. Makes roughly 10 to 12 servings.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- sea salt and ground pepper
- capers for garnesh
- 1 baguette, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound thinly sliced smoked salmon
Optional: If you prefer, the sliced bread can be toasted first before spreading the mustard butter.
- In a bowl, beat the butter with the Dijon and whole grain mustard, lemon zest and 1 tablespoon dill and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the mustard butter onto the sliced bread. Top with smoked salmon, a couple of fresh dill sprigs, a couple capers and arrange on a platter to serve.
Adapted from Food & Wine Annual Cookbook 2013