Arroz con Pollo (Spanish style Chicken and Rice)
- 2 tablespoon grape seed oil or olive oil for frying
- sea salt and black pepper
- 8 to 10 pieces of organic chicken drumsticks with skin on
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 plum tomatoes (about 1 pound) cored and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large, deep non-stick skillet heat oil to medium-high. Fry chicken turning over regularly until chicken browns about 10 to 12 minutes. Lower heat to medium-low, cover chicken and cook 7 to 8 minutes until chicken is fully cooked through. Then transfer chicken to a plate.
- To the same skillet increase heat to medium-high and add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cumin and saffron. Cook, stirring, until tomatoes break down, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to high and add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid slightly open (see picture) and simmer until liquid is absorbed about 30 minutes. Fold the cilantro into the rice and fluff the rice with a fork. Return the chicken, cover and heat for 5 more minutes. Then serve.
Adapted from Food and Wine September 2014